LST, LLC jointly developed tire models with FCA. These models can be downloaded through the LST, LLC Models download section. The models are based on a series of material, verification, and component level tests. The finite element mesh is based on 2D CAD data of the tire section. All major components of the tire use 8-noded hexahedron elements. The elastomers are modeled using *MAT_SIMPLIFIED_RUBBER and the plies are modeled using *MAT_ORTHOTROPIC_ELASTIC.
General features of the tire model include:
- 240,000 elements comprising mainly of 8-noded hexahedron elements using element formulation -2
- Inflation based on *AIRBAG_HYBRID with mass-flow using *DEFINE_CURVE_FUNCTION to achieve desired initial pressure
- Deflation based on *SENSOR to trigger leakage (venting or porosity). The sensors track the peak pressure in the tire (1.4 ×× initial_pressure as default) and the separation of the tire from the wheel. Separation of the tire and wheel is tracked using FORCE_TRANSDUCERS. Peak pressure triggers venting while wall separation triggers porosity-based leakage that accounts for contact blocking.
- No additional contacts required to model the interaction with vehicle and other components
- Elastomers modeled using *MAT_SIMPLIFIED_RUBBER with rate-dependency and the plies modeled using *MAT_ORTHOTROPIC_ELASTIC
- Mounting of the tire on the wheel modeled using *LOAD_THERMAL_VARIABLE and initial temperature imposed on the steel beads to model initial compressive stress
- Geometrically transformed validated tire model to obtain library of tire sizes
The current version does not include material failure.
Available Tire Sizes
- P235 45 R1
- P235 55 R19
- P235 65 R17
- P245 50 R20
- P245 75 R17
- P255 70 R18
- P275 65 R18
- P305 35 R20