General

General

How do I calculate inductance and resistance of a coil in post-processing phase?

• FAQFAQ
      Participant

In case you have forgotten to assign the Matrix-parameter before the simulation, you can also calculate inductance and resistance after the simulation. To calculate inductance of a coil in the post-processing phase: 1) Go to ‘Maxwell 3D -> Results -> Solution Data’. On the convergence tab, note the ‘TotalEnergy (J)’ of the last pass, and calculate the inductance with the formula L=4*TotalEnergy/I_peak^2, where I_peak is the peak current of your coil OR 2) In the Fields Calculator, integrate the ‘energy’ over the volume ‘AllObjects’ to get the ‘TotalEnergy’, and calculate the inductance with the abovementioned formula. To calculate resistance of a coil in the post-processing phase: In the Fields Calculator, integrate the ‘Ohmic-Loss’ over the volume of your coil to get ‘P_ohmic’, and calculate the resistance with the formula R=2*P_ohmic/I_peak^2 Details about the formulas can be found in Maxwell-help: Maxwell 2D Technical Notes -> Eddy Current Field Simulation -> Impedance Matrix -> Computing an Impedance Matrix -> Matrix Resistance/Inductance.