Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Topics cover installation and configuration of our free student products

Problem with launching Thermal Desktop

• Duy Bui
      Subscriber
      I recently installed Thermal Desktop while following this guide. However, when I tried to open the beercan.dwg file, it quickly flashed a screen and wouldn't open. I tried this a couple of times and then tried to open the TdDWGLauncher itself, but it gave me the following error:

Then, I deleted and reinstalled the Thermal desktop to see if it fixed it, but it didn't. When I tried to follow the error message, I found that there was no ThermalDesktop subfolder in my AppData\Local folder. So I created it myself and then tried to open the beercan file again, but it was still just the flash. I did notice that it created the log and debug files, however. Now when I try to open TdDWGLauncher, it also flashes rather than giving me the error from before.

Please let me know how I can fix this. Thank you!
    • George Karnos
      Ansys Employee

What happens if you open Thermal Desktop by right-click->more->run as administrator

Also, do you have any virus protection or firewall softeare that may be blocking it from running?

• Patrick Folz
      Subscriber

I am having the exact same problem, and attempted the exact same steps as OP, although mine did not create the .log file in the directory I manually added.

I do not see a way to manually run Thermal Desktop directly ("run as administrator" or otherwise).

I tried opening AutoCAD in Administrator Mode first then opening the beercan.dwg through TdDwgLauncher, but I still just get the flash.

I checked firewall and antivirus and manually added exceptions for Thermal Desktop (TdDwgLauncher) with no change.

I am using AutoCAD 2025 through the 15-day trial. I am already a few days in trying to get Thermal Desktop to launch, so prompt assistance would be greatly appreciated!

• Nicolas Rodriguez Barnuevo
      Subscriber

I started installing yesterday Thermal Desktop, following the same guide and having the same version of AutoCAD. When trying to open the example file "beercan" I have the same flash, and nothing happens. Ending up in the same situation. I have tried the same, creating the log file by myself but nothing different happens. I tried also the same with the firewall and no change. Please help would be highly appreciatted.

• Duy Bui
      Subscriber

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update.

I somehow got it to work after switching from Autocad 2025 to 2024. It did take me a fair bit, and I don't quite remember where, but in one of the error messages or files, it mentioned AutoCAD 2024 capability. I downgraded it and it opened like the tutorial shown.

Hope this helps!

• Ian Pond
      Ansys Employee

Hi All,

Replying in case others run into a similar issue. First off, Thermal Desktop is not compatible with AutoCAD 2025, so first be sure that you are on a version other than that. From there if you still receive the quick flash then close issue, please edit the following file, "C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\v242\CRTech\Thermal Desktop\TdDwgLauncher.exe.config" (where v242 is whatever version you are on) and uncomment the line with the path to AutoCAD, something like this . Save the file and try running again.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.