LS Dyna

LS Dyna

Topics related to LS-DYNA, Autodyn, Explicit STR and more.

Explicit dynamic modeling of machining process coupled with thermal

• Subhash N
      Subscriber

My problem is to develop a simulation model and determine the temperature distribution in the cutting zone. I'm doing this in explicit dynamic. Can anyone help me in finding the best way to find temperature distribution and cutting force during machining or how to add user defined output.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Subhash, I did a simple illustration for a test model of Aluminium block as shown a while back.

So, the crucial part is that you would need to have element erosion criteria defined.

Regards,

Sandeep

• Subhash N
      Subscriber
      Sir, Thank you for your response it was very helpful. Another doubt was in case of explicit dynamics there are no direct option to find temperature generation in the cutting zone and also to find cutting forces so can you please help me out with this. And also can u share the type of contact you have used in that model.
    • Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Subhash,

You would have to insert temperature through the worksheet:

and for the contact forces, you should make sure that this is turned on in Analysis settings:

I used simple frictionless body interaction, which had self-contact turned on:

P.S: If a post answers your original question, please mark it as a solution (‘As Solution') so that it might help someone in the future. This will help reduce repetitive questions and help provide better support on this Forum. 

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Subhash N
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much sir I got it. How to solve the same problem using Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian formulation. Is there any way to specify this formulation.
    • Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Subhash,

First, you would need to add the material(Say 'Water' for example) as needed in the Engineering Data. Next, in the details of the geometry assignment for the body, you need to specify the Eulerian reference:

Then you would have to make changes to the Analysis settings as needed:

Regards,

Sandeep

• Subhash N
      Subscriber
      Sir, I tried this one but this will become eulerian formulation right?
    • Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Subhash,

You are only specifying the Eulerian formulation for the bodies of interest (that would deform significantly) and by changing the scope to Eulerian Bodies alone in the Analysis setting, you are separating this from the Lagrangian aspect. So for the Other/Remaining bodies, the Reference Frame will still be Lagrangian.

Regards,

Sandeep

• Subhash N
      Subscriber
      Ok sir thank you. What kind of meshing will best suit these kind of problems. Sir can I know the boundary conditions you have used.
    • Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

I would recommend using linear Hex elements when every possible in Explicit problems.

The boundary conditions are shown in the first picture of the first post of this thread.

• Subhash N
      Subscriber
      Ok sir. I'm getting an error like energy error too large . What might be the cause of it How can I solve it.
    • dinler
      Subscriber

Dear Sirs,

For brittle workpiece material like grey cast iron, is there any way to model the chip formation without setting geometric strain limit on?

By the way what exactly geometric strain limit controls, equivalent elastric strain?

I would like to model chip formation when the workpiece material reaches maximum shear stress or I want to set a limit to plastic strain, I dont expect any plastic strain at all.

40933889146909@1458296381790/Stress-strain-diagram-for-a-brittle-material.png" alt="3. Stress strain diagram for a brittle material.  ">

• Jessy32
      Subscriber

I am using Ansys R1 2021 student version, Can you please tell me how to calculate cutting forces and cutting temperature while turning operation. I searched for Worksheet but it isn't activate for me

Can you please help me to find cutting forces and cutting temperature. Thank you

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Explicit dynamic modeling of machining process coupled with thermal’ is closed to new replies.