Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Discuss installation & licensing of our Ansys Teaching and Research products

Workbench license error

• Lisa Preble
      Bbp_participant

Hi, I can't get a license when I use workbench. However, I'm able to use software when I launch individual apps such as fluent.  We have a network license server.  I know the licence server is up and running because I can use workbench on another computer running an older version and it can launch workbench without errors. I can log into the license server as Administrator and I can see other people are able to get licenses.   This new installation is verison 2024R2.  I updated the license server software to this same version.  

I edited client computer's ansyslmd.ini file to:

SERVER=1055@(our license server host name)

ANSYSLI_FNP_IP_ENV=1
      ANSYSLI_TIMEOUT_FLEXLM=20
      ANSYSLI_FLEXLM_TIMEOUT_ENV=20000000
      ANSYSCL_TIMEOUT_CONNECT=60
      ANSYSCL_TIMEOUT_RESPONSE=300

I also added the FLEXLM_TIMEOUT system ENV with value of 50000000

SetA

C:\Users\soeadmin>set A
      ADSK_3DSMAX_x64_2025=C:\apps\Autodesk\3ds Max 2025\
      ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
      ANSYS242_DIR=C:\apps\ANSYS Inc\v242\ANSYS
      ANSYS_EM_DONOT_PRELOAD_3DDRIVER_DLL=1
      APPDATA=C:\Users\soeadmin\AppData\Roaming
      AWP_LOCALE242=en-us
      AWP_ROOT242=C:\apps\ANSYS Inc\v242

I deleted the ANSYS data in %appdata%.

I'm able to ping the license server.  When I run the license utility I get a green check mark.

I'm not sure what else to check.

• Lisa Preble
      Bbp_participant

I'm also able to get a license in Elecronics Desktop.  I still need help with Workbench.  Thank you.

• randyk
      Ansys Employee

Hi Lisa,

The issue is most likely the 'ansyslmd.ini' file in your ANSYS WB folder is not correct - whereas your Electronics is.

Rather than dealing with multiple 'ansyslmd.ini' files, I prefer to add these two environment variables:
      ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE=1055@(your license server host name)
      ANS_FLEXLM_DISABLE_DEFLICPATH=1

The 'ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE' will point all ANSYS applications to your license server.
      The 'ANS_FLEXLM_DISABLE_DEFLICPATH'  will tell ANSYS applications to ignore the respective ansyslmd.ini file(s).

thanks
      Randy

• Lisa Preble
      Bbp_participant

Hello, The error persists. Please escalate.  This is for a computer lab environment and I have researchers waiting to install but I cannot yet recommend the 2024R2 version.  Thank you.

• randyk
        Ansys Employee

Hi Lisa, I am reaching directly towards you via Email

• Gilmoremaker
      Bbp_participant

Same issue here. We have two clusters unable to upgrade to the lastest version of Ansys 2024 R2 when using Workbench.

• randyk
        Ansys Employee

Hi GilmoreMaker,

I attempted to locate your direct contact but, unable cross-reference.

But, here are the items I look for when troubleshooting licensing - from a client perspective:

1. the license server reference 
        default:  \shared_files\licensing\ansyslmd.ini     
        optional: set environment variables (first points to the license server, second tells Ansys apps to not look for an ansyslmd.ini if the env var does not work):
                         ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE=1055@(your license server host name)
                         ANS_FLEXLM_DISABLE_DEFLICPATH=1
        2. do a lmstat to confirm license server connection and version
                 \v2xx\licensingclient\\lmutil  lmstat -c 1055@(your license server host name)
        Look for the versions on the following lines (for current versions you want to see 11.19.5):
                 license server UP (MASTER) v11.19.5
                 ansyslmd: UP v11.19.5
        3. do a lmstat to list all features and TECS dates in the installed license file:
                 \v2xx\licensingclient\\lmutil  lmstat -c 1055@(your license server host name) -i
        4. use "ansysli_util" to attempt to checkout - this is in the "licensingclient" folder
                 \v2xx\licensingclient\\ansysli_util  -checkout  ansys
        5. if these are failing, then I would probably set a static port on the license server vendor process
             The license file(s) SERVER line sets the LMGRD port to 1055   (default)
             The license file(s) VENDOR line can be modified to set a static port for the vendor daemon (restart the license service after making this change).
                  change:   VENDOR ansyslmd
                  to:   VENDOR ansyslmd PORT=1056

Then from the client machine confirm TCP connectivity to both ports
              Linux has multiple methods such as:   "telnet  LicenseServerName  1055"  and   "telnet  LicenseServerName  1056"
             Windows powershell has "tnc" ex:  from a CMD, run: 
                powershell -Command "TNC LicenseServerName 1055
                powershell -Command "TNC LicenseServerName 1056
        If the connections fail, look for: firewalls, license server processes running, incorrect ports

If the ports are both connecting and still issues, try referencing the vendor daemon port and doing a checkout
                export ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE=1056@(your license server host name)
                 \v2xx\licensingclient\\ansysli_util  -checkout  ansys

These tests should identify the issue.
        thanks
        Randy

• Gilmoremaker
          Bbp_participant

The issue is not with the license server being found as running fluent from the terminal works fine. The issue is with Workbench NOT finding the license server, and therefore fails to populated all the products in the side bar.

Also, the linux command "/v242/licensingclient/lnamd64/lmutil lmstat" has not functioned sense at least 2015 maybe even 2014 on our systems with the output "lmgrd is not running: License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,7)", all the while, the license server has worked.

FYI, I can't seem to link my identity here in the forum with my customer account. Thanks to Matt for forwarding my email to you.

Richard

• randyk
      Ansys Employee

If ANSYS 2024R2  applications work but WB fails with this error:
      "Workbench could not connect to a valid licensing server. Review your license configuration in the Ansys Licensing Settings application and make sure you are connected to a valid network"

This would be related to issue 1113708 - Cannot open WB in 2024R2 but standalone applications work fine

Currently, there is no solution.  We are working with developers to obtain the fix.

• des.ryan
      Bbp_participant

Hi Ansys

Can you advise when there will be a fix for the above 2024R2 WorkBench issue.

We, at the University of Sheffield, have rolled out 2024R2 to 100's of Managed Desktops and we are starting to receive complaints about not being able to run Workbench.

Many thanks.

Des

• ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee

There is a solution available in the Ansys Knowledgebase. If you have access to the ACSS portal, you can search for Knowledge Article # 000065357.

• samir.sid
        Bbp_participant

Hello,

I am facing the same issue. I just tried to search for #000065357 in the ACSS knowledge base but couldn’t find anything. Is that the right article number?

Thank you for your help.

• des.ryan
        Bbp_participant

Good morning

I posted yesterday about ‘the fix’ and like Samir I cannot locate the article you referenced…..it does not exist according to my searches (and I have access). Is there any other way to share or help find it/solution? Thank you. Des 

• ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee

Apologies, this is an internal KM. We will reach out to you directly to provide the details.

• Mrunali Barde
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

reaching out directly to Gilmoremaker, Samir and des.ryan 

Wishes, 
      Mrunali. 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.