General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Topics relate to Mechanical Enterprise, Motion, Additive Print and more

Using APDL to extract stresses on a beam element.

• ben.gilmour
      Subscriber

I have been attempting to automate the extraction of principal stresses from a beam element model. This seems to be a little tricky, and I’m now having an issue exporting the principal stresses using APDL. I can see the principal stresses mapped onto the nodes in a stress plot, giving me an example maximum principal stress value here of 1.8e5 Pa. Using my APDL script, the principal stress I extract is 0.7e-30 Pa.

I have used this script successfully with shells and understand there is some difficulty in reading nodal stress outputs from beam elements. However, even in this model I have a maximum principal stress of 1.2e8 Pa on my shell node whereas the script picks up -0.2e-2 Pa. Stranger still, it reads the middle and minimum principal stresses fine for the shell.

Anyone know what the problem is here please? 

I will include the script below for reference:

/OUTRES,DATAFILE,TXT
      FINISH
      /POST1
      SET,LAST

!   Name a text file and write headers for columns.
      FNAME = 'NodeStress'
      *CFOPEN,%FNAME%,TXT
      *VWRITE,'No.','MaxPrinc','MidPrinc','MinPrinc'
      (A,','A,','A,','A)

!   Select all nodes, and then call upon the node numbers we're interested in. Name these using an
      !   incremental value such that the names can be sequentially read. 
      ALLSEL
      NS1 = 23
      NS2 = 88
      NS3 = 426

Nos = 3

!   'D' is used as an integer describing the number of iterations performed.
      D = 1

!   Do loop for finding the node, getting the maximum/middle/minimum principal stresses.
      *DO,A,1,Nos,1
      NSEL,S,NODE,,NS%A%
      *GET,Snom1%A%,NODE,NS%A%,S,1
      *GET,Snom2%A%,NODE,NS%A%,S,2
      *GET,Snom3%A%,NODE,NS%A%,S,3
      ALLSEL

!   Write the stress values to the text file.
      *VWRITE,%D%,NS%A%,Snom1%A%,Snom2%A%,Snom3%A%
      (F8.0,','F8.0,','E16.10,','E16.10,','E16.10)

!   Increase the iteration count by one before restarting the loop.
      D = D + 1

*ENDDO

!   Close the text file and end script.
      /OUTRES
      *CFCLOSE
    • danielshaw
      Ansys Employee

The low stress value obtained by *GET probably just means that quantity was not available.  What message was issued to the solve.out file when that *GET was issued? 

1Did you try just issuing *GET for 1 node/element before embedding the *GET commands inside a *DOLOOP?

1Why are you attempting to extract nodal stresses for beam elements?  What is the relevance of the nodal stress from a beam element?  Typically you are interested in the beam results.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.