3D Design

3D Design

Topics related to Ansys Discovery and Ansys SpaceClaim.

Lower the minimum length than 50nm

• dkook3
      Bbp_participant

Hello,

I am trying to make a thin layer, and I am encountering several issues.

1. If I try to import geometry, which one of the body is 10nm, it becomes a surface when I apply shared topology.
      2. If I try to make geometry in DesignModeler(Mine doesn't have SpaceClaim), it doesn't generate the extrude when either dimension is lower than 50nm.
      3. If I try to import or make geometry that is larger than 50nm and then scale it down, the issue of 1 occurs again.

Could you help me to generate body that is very thin, 10nm, and then apply shared topology?

Thank you!

• Rob
      Forum Moderator

It will collapse as you're well below the CAD kernal tolerance limits. Which solver are you using to need a volume that's 10nm thick? 

• dkook3
      Bbp_participant

I am currently just working on workbench (cell D)

I don't understand the question well since I am not solving anything, just generating geometry.

Could you tell me where should I look to see what solver I am using in geometry?

Thank you.

• Rob
      Forum Moderator

What are you going to do with the geometry? 

• dkook3
      Bbp_participant

I am going to heat up the wire, which is another body on top of this 10nm structure, and then observe temperature distribution through out the entire thing.

• dkook3
      Bbp_participant

Is it possible to manually modify CAD kernel tolerance limits?

• Rob
      Forum Moderator

In Mechanical?  You can't alter the CAD kernel limits, but you could scale the whole domain and then scale down in the solver: that may depend on the solver hence asking what you were doing with the geometry. 

• dkook3
      Bbp_participant

Yes, in mechanical. So based on what I understood, instead of scaling the part at "Geometry", I can scale the part at "model" and then mesh, or mesh and scale the part at "model". Also, "solver" that you are saying means "component systems" in the window. I will eventually put "model" into "steady-state thermal" so if the scaling only supports on there, I can also do it there.

• Rob
      Forum Moderator

Will 10nm not be better represented with a shell? I'll get someone who drives Mech to comment. 

• Govindan Nagappan
      Ansys Employee

Check this help page: Model Size Box (ansys.com)

Make sure you set the units to Microns, then import the geometry. Then apply shared topology

Set the units to Micron and start a new session. You should see that DM opens with micrometer units

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.