General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Topics relate to Mechanical Enterprise, Motion, Additive Print and more

interference fit and welding

• hubert.federlehner
      Subscriber

I have a gear that is fixed onto a shaft using an interference fit. After pressing the gear onto the shaft, the gear is welded to the shaft. My goal is to first apply the interference fit, which works well with the contact conditions. However, in the second step, I would like to model the weld at a specific surface using either a bonded contact or a joint. I am unsure how to introduce the welding in a later time step. The goal is to have no stress in the weld after the welding step. In the third step, a load is applied, and I would like to examine the load distribution between the interference fit and the weld.

Can anyone help with how to implement the welding in a later time step and achieve this?

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

Under conditions you can use Element Birth and Death and activate weld when needed. 

Hope this helps - for more info search for Element Birth and Death in the mechanical help manual.

I would suggest to skip contacts and use shared topology (in spaceclaim - search the internet if this is not clear)

All the best

Erik

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.