Fluids

Fluids

Topics relate to Fluent, CFX, Turbogrid and more

How do you approach this?

• Juanjo
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

Over the past 15 years, I've been modeling electrothermal mechanical systems using ANSYS APDL. After all these years, I believe I've developed a strong skill set in this area. It feels like second nature to me. However, I've yet to successfully incorporate fluid dynamics into my models. A few years back, I attempted to approximate it using FLOTRAN, which, despite being removed from manuals in version 11 (or later), still exists in MAPDL for compatibility purposes. I managed to make some progress.

I've considered transitioning to Workbench, but I'm truly enamored with APDL. I appreciate its ability to run 200 simulations overnight, tweaking parameters and gathering data while I sleep. In Workbench, I imagine I'd need to manually repeat simulations, adjusting parameters each time and inspecting the results. The batch mode in APDL is incredibly powerful.

Currently, I'm exploring new tools in ANSYS, such as PyMAPDL or scripting to generate models in SpaceClaim and integrate them with Multiphysics in Workbench. I'm eager to incorporate Fluent into my simulations.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you may have on this topic.

Regards,

• Luca B.
      Forum Moderator

It's great to hear about your experience with Ansys APDL and your interest in expanding into fluid dynamics with Fluent. 

Ansys Fluent is a powerful tool for fluid simulation that offers fast pre-processing and solve times, which can be crucial for accelerating your workflow. It provides streamlined workflows for meshing and application setups, which could be beneficial for integrating fluid dynamics into your electrothermal mechanical simulations.

Moreover, PyMAPDL could be a valuable asset for you. It is a Python API that allows you to access the MAPDL solver and its simulation data. With PyMAPDL, you can convert Python instructions into APDL commands, which can then be transmitted to an MAPDL instance running anywhere. This could potentially enable you to automate and streamline the process of setting up and running your simulations, much like you're used to do with APDL.

As you're already considering, scripting to generate models in SpaceClaim and integrating them with Multiphysics in Workbench could also be a way forward in order to introduce automation capabilities.

Leveraging Ansys Fluent's capabilities for fluid dynamics, along with the automation potential of PyMAPDL, could be a promising path for you to explore. 

I suggest you to visit  the following pages that can give you more details:

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.