Fluids

Fluids

Topics relate to Fluent, CFX, Turbogrid and more

Fluid flow simulation through a perforated pipe

• Siddharth98
      Subscriber

I have a pipe (image attached below)  with one end as inlet and other end is blocked. Outlet is through the perforations along the length. I need to calculate fluid velocity through different perforations. I am a new user, please elaborate the steps for the simulation.

Thank you,

Siddharth

• KR
      Administrator

Hello,

Please create the necessary fluid domain from your solid geometry. Depending on the Reynolds number of your problem, please use the appropriate Viscous model (laminar or turbulent). Please make sure to use the following boundary conditions in Fluent.

1. Inlet - Velocity Inlet,

2. Outlet (all your small perforations) - Pressure Outlet

3. Rest of the boundaries (incl. the other end of your pipe) - Wall

Please see the following videos to understand the workflow from geometry to meshing to set-up to results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0ukx3zpJI&list=PL0lZXwHtV6OmedTRo0xU5AFxCrtsSsHda&index=4&t=0s

In addition to this, there are numerous videos on YouTube (on the Ansys How To channel) that elaborate on the problem set-up.

I hope this helps you get started.

Thank you.

Best,
      Karthik

• Siddharth98
      Subscriber
      Hello When I'm trying to import the above .ipt file in design modeller but getting several error messages as follows:
      1. No compatible interface found for this file type
      2. Geometry interface not found
      3. Attach failed
      Please suggest some method
      Thanks a lot Siddharth
    • KR
      Administrator

Hello,

Please use a neutral CAD format like .stl or .step or parasolid. Please try this and if you are still seeing errors, please create a separate question under the Pre and Post Processing thread on this community. Also, try to import your geometry to SpaceClaim, which is another Geometry tool we have.

Worst case - you could always create the geometry from scratch in SpaceClaim or Design Modeler.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Fluid flow simulation through a perforated pipe’ is closed to new replies.