Fluids

Fluids

Topics relate to Fluent, CFX, Turbogrid and more

Fluent crash on starting

• Omar Zaki
      Subscriber

I am trying to start Fluent Meshing. Processor is AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX.

I get the following error:

Welcome to ANSYS Fluent 2023 R2

Copyright 1987-2023 ANSYS, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Unauthorized use, distribution or duplication is prohibited.

This product is subject to U.S. laws governing export and re-export.

For full Legal Notice, see documentation.

Build Time: Aug 18 2023 08:31:10 EDT Build Id: 10213

Connected License Server List: ######

--------------------------------------------------------------

This is an academic version of ANSYS FLUENT. Usage of this product

license is limited to the terms and conditions specified in your ANSYS

license form, additional terms section.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Host spawning Node 0 on machine "OmarZaki" (win64).

[mpiexec@OmarZaki] wmain (mpiexec.c:2165): assert (pg->intel.exitcodes != NULL) failed

[mpiexec@OmarZaki] HYD_sock_write (..\windows\src\hydra_sock.c:387): write error (errno = 34)

What would be the issue?

• MangeshANSYS
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

Can you please try running using openmpi by selecting openmpi when starting from fluent launcher OR adding the line below to your fluent launch command ? 

-mpi=openmpi

• Omar Zaki
      Subscriber

Thanks Mangesh for replying. I tried many things including installing Intel MPI and Microsoft MPI and tried both without any success. I also tried the mpiexec test line

c:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\v232\ansys\bin\winx64>ANSYS232.exe -np 2 -mpitest

but it gave me the same error again:

[mpiexec@OmarZaki] wmain (mpiexec.c:2165): assert (pg->intel.exitcodes != NULL) failed

[mpiexec@OmarZaki] HYD_sock_write (..\windows\src\hydra_sock.c:387): write error (errno = 34)

I also tried with Admin Privileges, but also without success. Additionally, I tried both Intel MPI and Microsoft MPI, both failed to launch.

The only case Fluent launched when I start with one process, since MPI is not needed.

I downgraded to Ansys 2023 R1, and it is working flawlessly now. I think it is a bug with Ansys 2023 R2. I wonder if there is a platform to report bugs like this.

• MangeshANSYS
      Ansys Employee

please try
      -mpi=intel2018

It simply could be an issue with combination of your system and newer version of MPI

• Omar Zaki
      Subscriber

Still the same error with -mpi=intel2018

Any other ideas?

• MangeshANSYS
      Ansys Employee

wmain (mpiexec.c:2165): assert (pg->intel.exitcodes != NULL) failed
      HYD_sock_write (..\windows\src\hydra_sock.c:387): write error (errno = 34)
      if you are installing MPI services please cache your credentials

1. See this 3rd party link for similar error 
        https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-HPC-Toolkit/Intel-MPI-2019-3-can-t-work/m-p/1143101
      2. How is Fluent being launched ? Please try using a directory with write permissions. Use a start in directory without spaces, something like
        C:\temp\fluent_test
      3. In your command line for ansys232, I noticed that you are starting in the Program files directory. Similarly can you try launching from a folder with write permissions ? also try adding 
        -smp
        to your command for launching Ansys Mechanical
      4. are you trying to run on only opne machine or more than one machines ? if more than one then also check firewalls and access to shared drives

hope this helps

• Omar Zaki
        Subscriber

1. See this 3rd party link for similar error 
        https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-HPC-Toolkit/Intel-MPI-2019-3-can-t-work/m-p/1143101

Tried the solutions offered on the topic, with no success. I am pretty sure it is an Ansys problem not an MPI problem

2. How is Fluent being launched ? Please try using a directory with write permissions. Use a start in directory without spaces, something like
        C:\temp\fluent_test

Tried this, no success. Same Error

3. In your command line for ansys232, I noticed that you are starting in the Program files directory. Similarly can you try launching from a folder with write permissions ? also try adding 
        -smp to your command for launching Ansys Mechanical

I am trying to launch Fluent not Ansys Mechanical.

4. are you trying to run on only opne machine or more than one machines ? if more than one then also check firewalls and access to shared drives

It is only 1 machine, and I checked the firewall restrictions. There is nothing to be done about it.

Additionally, I tried copying the MPI files from 2023 R1 to the newer versions, without success. I also tried the most recent version 2024 R1, which gave me the same error.

I am not sure what should be done next. How can I contact customer service about this? (I have a university academic research license)?

• MangeshANSYS
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

Please reach out to your Ansys Sales Account Manager and reference this thread and my name.

thank you

• MangeshANSYS
      Ansys Employee

Here is what worked for Omar

"C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\v241\fluent\ntbin\win64\fluent.exe" 3d -r24.1.0 -mpi=intel2018 -peth -t6

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.