General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Topics relate to Mechanical Enterprise, Motion, Additive Print and more

Displacement load towards a 3D-curved boundary

• hzm0074
      Bbp_participant

Hello,

I have a finite-thickness soft plate with a curved edge (see the Solidworks geometry below). In ANSYS Mechanical, I want to apply a load step with a displacement load or boundary condition that forces the curved edge along a slender, 3D-shaped surface, which I have as part of the geometry. The width of the surface and the thickness of the plate match approximately, and the length of the surface is approximately equal to the length of the curved edge. This load step is meant to simulate the mounting of the plate into a housing. The housing is not to be meshed or simulated.

I think that a static structural analysis should be able to solve for the plate deformation to conform to the curved surface. I've successfully imported the geometry into Workbench/Mechanical. Please help me to tell the software that the plate's edge must follow the curved surface. I cannot find useful information elsewhere. Alternatively, please suggest other approaches.

Down the line, the deformed geometry and the resulting strain/stress fields will be the starting point for a fluid-structure interaction simulation. In that simulation, it is crucial that these stresses and strains from the mounting procedure are present, i.e. I cannot simply draw the deformed shape in CAD and start simulating with this as the neutral shape.

Regards,

Holger

Explanation of the geometry and expected solution

• deepak.deepak
      Ansys Employee

Hi Holger, I was thinking of one approach to deform the plate, i.e., calculate verticle displacement along the edge and apply it as displacement load at equal intervals.

Thanks,

Deepak.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.