Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Topics relate to geometry, meshing, and CAD

Difficulty in report files setup

• H.Y. Chuang
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm using Fluent 2021 R1 to solve a transient heat transfer problem. Because extracting data from the post-processing results is time-consuming and requires a lot of storage space, I tried to define report files as an alternative. However, I faced a challenge when attempting to record the flow velocity and local temperature across the entire computational domain. Since some of the the grid points are floating in the air without any walls or objects as reference, Fluent had difficulty recognizing the cell zone locations. Is there a way to achieve this, or are there easier methods to record physical properties at every time step? Thank you.

• Nilay Pedram
      Forum Moderator

Hello,
      You can consider using the transient data sampling feature. This feature allows you to run a transient solution and enables the export of data, which could potentially include the flow velocity and temperature at each time step. As described in the provided context, you can create a new Fluent component for transient data sampling, which may help you to manage the data recording process more efficiently. Thanks! 

• H.Y. Chuang
        Subscriber

Thank so much for the reply! However, I couldn't quite find the feature you're refering to, either in the workbench or in fluent application, nor could I find it in the document. May I ask you a favor to instruct me how to set up transient data sampling?

• H.Y. Chuang
      Subscriber
      I think I should add that, though I know there's a method to add point surfaces with input coordinate, since my goal is to export the physical properties across the whole region, it is nearly impossible to hand craft them all one by one (for example, for a prismatic 4m*1m*1m computational domain, I need to input 4e9 points to achieve 1mm data accuracy). If anyone know some way to add point surfaces, either via ansys provided function or coding, please let me know.
    • Nilay Pedram
      Forum Moderator

Hello,
      You can find the 'Data Sampling' option in the Run Calculation task page. Enable the 'Data Sampling for Time Statistics' option and set the Sampling Interval according to your requirements. This will allow Fluent to collect data for time statistics, which can be postprocessed to view different variables. Hope this helps. Thanks!

• H.Y. Chuang
        Subscriber

Edit: 

I think my problem is solved! Thank so mcuh for the guide, wish you a nice weekend!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.