Materials

Materials

Topics relate to Granta Design and more

• wissem chakchouk
      Bbp_participant

I would like to add damping coefficients to my materials in LS-DYNA. I tried incorporating them through the elastic material module by using the alpha and beta coefficients, as I had done previously in ANSYS using an implicit scheme. I also attempted to use the Damping Part Stiffness module, but the results did not show any significant change. Do you have any suggestions on how to effectively incorporate these damping coefficients, considering that I am working with an explicit scheme?

• Armin
      Ansys Employee

Hi Wissen,

I checked the workflow you indicated and the *DAMPING_PART_MASS and *DAMPING_PART_STIFFNESS cards are automatically written to the input file when alpha and beta damping coefficients are specified in the Engineering Data application of Workbench. Please refer to the full description of these cards in the LS-DYNA keyword manual: https://www.dynasupport.com/manuals/ls-dyna-manuals/ls-dyna_manual_volume_i_r13.pdf/view

Also note that under Analysis Settings in Workbench LS-DYNA, there is an entry for Global Damping (screenshot below) where alpha damping can be applied to the whole model. Using this option, the *DAMPING_GLOBAL card will be written to the input file with the details included in the reference above.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.