


{"id":51946,"date":"2021-02-05T14:41:38","date_gmt":"2021-02-05T14:41:38","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/"},"modified":"2021-02-05T14:41:38","modified_gmt":"2021-02-05T14:41:38","slug":"what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/","title":{"rendered":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the mass and the diameter of the particle are reduced or increased by calculating the mass flow mp_dot and apply it the following way (I also included a security that the particle can&#8217;t get negative values):n  TP_MASS(tp) -= mp_dot * TP_DT(tp); n  if (TP_MASS(tp) < 0.)n   {n    TP_MASS(tp) = 0.;n   }n  TP_DIAM(tp) = pow(6.0 * TP_MASS(tp) \/ (TP_RHO(tp) * M_PI), 1.\/3.);nnIn the  DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE, the sources get updated according to the example from the Ansys Fluent documentary:n mp_dot = (TP_MASS0(tp) - TP_MASS(tp)) * strength;n      S->species[h2o_index] += mp_dot;n      S->energy -= mp_dot * DPM_LATENT_HEAT(tp,TP_MATERIAL(tp));nI am assuming there are some controls that I can use to limit the source terms, but I don&#8217;t find them, or there is another reason behind this.nThanks for some advice!nn<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-51946","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry","topic-tag-udf-fluent"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/udf-fluent\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"udf-fluent\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/udf-fluent\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"udf-fluent\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/udf-fluent\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/udf-fluent\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"udf-fluent\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\\\/\",\"name\":\"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/udf-fluent\/#listItem","name":"udf-fluent"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/udf-fluent\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"udf-fluent","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/udf-fluent\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/#listItem","name":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/udf-fluent\/#listItem","name":"udf-fluent"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/","name":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00","dateModified":"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/","article:published_time":"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00","article:modified_time":"2021-02-05T14:41:38+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW? | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"In my simulation I use the above law to generate mass and energy sources from the DPM model. While running the simulation, the DPM mass source gets unreasonably high, higher than possible with the injection mass flow. I assume there is some numeric problem when calculating the mass and energy source. nIn the DEFINE_DPM_LAW, the"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"51946","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 22:55:07","updated":"2024-10-28 22:55:07","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/udf-fluent\/\" title=\"udf-fluent\">udf-fluent<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tWhat is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"udf-fluent","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/udf-fluent\/"},{"label":"What is the reason for instability of source terms using DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE and DEFINE_DPM_LAW?","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/what-is-the-reason-for-instability-of-source-terms-using-define_dpm_source-and-define_dpm_law\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_old_topic_id":["24224"],"_bbp_old_topic_author_name_id":["Anonymous"],"_bbp_old_is_topic_anonymous_id":["false"],"_bbp_old_closed_status_id":["publish"],"_bbp_author_ip":["?R\u0019)"],"_bbp_old_sticky_status_id":["normal"],"_bbp_likes_count":["0"],"_btv_view_count":["611"],"_bbp_subscription":["248764"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_status":["publish"],"_bbp_topic_id":["51946"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27792"],"_bbp_engagement":["199","22555","174551"],"_bbp_voice_count":["3"],"_bbp_reply_count":["12"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["142554"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["142554"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2021-02-16 13:39:04"]},"test":"larvil"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/51946","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/51946\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=51946"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}