


{"id":429946,"date":"2025-04-24T14:40:19","date_gmt":"2025-04-24T14:40:19","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/"},"modified":"2025-04-24T14:40:19","modified_gmt":"2025-04-24T14:40:19","slug":"dpm-source-terms-udfs-units","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/","title":{"rendered":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>&lt;p&gt;Hey all.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;I&#8217;m currently using Fluent&#8217;s DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in a momentum source term to the carrier phase. If I understood correctly, the forces added in the DEFINE_DPM_BODY_FORCE UDF only impact the trajectory calculations. Thus, I also add those forces in the momentum source of the carrier phase using the DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE UDF, by writing: S-&gt;momentum_s[i] += F[i], with F being my forces array, and i = {0, 1, 2} the cartesian component. So, F[i] is in Newton. In addition to this, I also implement a very simple heat exchange mechanism between the bubbles and the carrier phase, which is nearly identical to Fluent&#8217;s Inert Heating, with the only change being how I define the heat transfer coefficient h. Since Fluent doesn&#8217;t provide a way to customize it (as it does with the drag coefficient), I compute it in the DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE UDF, and use it in the usual formula: Q = pi*d*d*(T_b &#8211; T_f)*h, with h = k*Nu\/d. In those, d is the bubble diameter, T_b the bubble T&deg; (constant), T_f the fluid T&deg; at the bubble center, k the conduction coefficient, and Nu the bubble Nusselt number. I thus write: S-&gt;energy += Q, where Q is in Watt. I don&#8217;t make use of the &#8220;strength&#8221; parameter which, since I enforce 1 bubble per parcel, is equal to the inverse of my fluid timestep, which is constant at 0.01s. I of course disable Fluent&#8217;s laws in the GUI, so no laws are active. Bubbles&#8217; radius is constant, as is their density. Finally, I use node-based averaging of the source terms to distribute those terms to the neighbouring cells (with a Gaussian kernel). Simulation is obv unsteady, with unsteady particle tracking etc.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Here&#8217;s my problem: results weren&#8217;t great, so I wanted to compare Fluent&#8217;s Inert Heating law to mine. It turns out that Fluent&#8217;s Nusselt number is often very close to mine (1-10% away), which would indicate that Fluent&#8217;s Inert Heating and my law yield the same results. But, when I compute the volume-averaged enthalpy source during the simulation (enthalpy source = carrier phase energy source in this case), mine&#8217;s magnitude is around 1e-8 to 1e-10, whereas Fluent&#8217;s is around 1e-15. What am I missing here? Should I make use of the &#8220;strength&#8221; parameter, or maybe my units are not right? In the documentation&#8217;s exemple of the DEFINE_DPM_SOURCE UDF, the variable put into S-&gt;energy is in Watt too.*I can provide more information on the case if needed. Thanks!&lt;\/p&gt;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-429946","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry","topic-tag-multiphaseudfevaporationdpmspeciestransportdefinesourcesourcetermeulerianlagrangian-1","topic-tag-bubbles-1"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"Hey all.I&#039;m currently using Fluent&#039;s DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"Hey all.I&#039;m currently using Fluent&#039;s DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"Hey all.I&#039;m currently using Fluent&#039;s DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/bubbles-1\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"bubbles\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/bubbles-1\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"bubbles\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/bubbles-1\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/bubbles-1\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"bubbles\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\\\/\",\"name\":\"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Hey all.I'm currently using Fluent's DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hey all.I'm currently using Fluent's DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/bubbles-1\/#listItem","name":"bubbles"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/bubbles-1\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"bubbles","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/bubbles-1\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/#listItem","name":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/bubbles-1\/#listItem","name":"bubbles"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/","name":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hey all.I'm currently using Fluent's DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00","dateModified":"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"Hey all.I'm currently using Fluent's DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/","article:published_time":"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00","article:modified_time":"2025-04-24T14:40:19+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"Hey all.I'm currently using Fluent's DPM to simulate the release of 10,000 water vapor bubbles into a tall cubic domain filled with water, with a hot and cold lower and upper plates, respectively. I have a few custom forces to implement. Those forces are supposed to intervene in the tracking of the bubbles, and in"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"429946","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"default","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":false,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2025-10-19 14:58:52","updated":"2026-09-18 07:02:08","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/bubbles-1\/\" title=\"bubbles\">bubbles<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tDPM Source Terms UDFs Units\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"bubbles","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/bubbles-1\/"},{"label":"DPM Source Terms UDFs Units","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/dpm-source-terms-udfs-units\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_forum_id":["27784"],"_bbp_topic_id":["429946"],"_bbp_subscription":["514911","199"],"_bbp_author_ip":["2a02:a03f:a9c9:401:1518:68a1:4628:379e"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["430460"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["430460"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2025-04-30 14:13:46"],"_bbp_reply_count":["3"],"_bbp_reply_count_hidden":["0"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_engagement":["514911","199"],"_btv_view_count":["119"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"]},"test":"valentin-melotstudent-uclouvain-be"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/429946","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/429946\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=429946"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}