


{"id":396289,"date":"2024-12-04T16:15:39","date_gmt":"2024-12-04T16:15:39","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/"},"modified":"2024-12-04T16:17:24","modified_gmt":"2024-12-04T16:17:24","slug":"calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/","title":{"rendered":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>&lt;p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it&#8217;s surface, so I have written a function in the calculator using the vector normal to the resonator that does this. I would expect the magnitude of tangential components to be different above and below the resonator since above the resonator there is vacuum but below it there is sapphire, however, when I solve for the two using a positive and negative normal vector, respectively, I get the same magnitude of E-field.&nbsp;&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Does anyone know where I might be going wrong? <strong>Furthermore, should I expect the the value being returned to be the magnitude of the field in sapphire or vacuum (I am uncertain since the resonant sheet is effectively at the interface of the two)?<\/strong> If I just knew that I would be able to rescale the value using dielectric constants.&nbsp;&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As a sanity check, I created a non-model sheet that was a copy of the resonator and swept it through the resonator such that it started in sapphire and ended in vacuum. I performed the same calculation of tangential components for the this sheet and found a 4 order of magntitude larger value for the electrical field. I was particularly surprised to see this was the case even when the sheet was in the same position as the resonator.&nbsp;&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;<strong>Any information or guidance w.r.t. calculating field components at the interface of dielectric regions would be greatly appreciated!<\/strong>&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;\/p&gt;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-396289","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry","topic-tag-2d-analysis","topic-tag-2d-and-3d-analysis-2","topic-tag-2d-modelling-1","topic-tag-3-d-model","topic-tag-3d-anayls-s","topic-tag-3d-model-1","topic-tag-3d-modelling-1","topic-tag-3dmodel-1","topic-tag-boundary","topic-tag-boundary-condition","topic-tag-boundary-conditions","topic-tag-Dielectric-1","topic-tag-e-field","topic-tag-eigenmode","topic-tag-electric-field-1","topic-tag-electricfield","topic-tag-field-analysis-2","topic-tag-field-calculator","topic-tag-fields","topic-tag-fields-calculator-1","topic-tag-fieldscalculator-1","topic-tag-interface","topic-tag-interface-boundary","topic-tag-simulation","topic-tag-vacuum-2"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it&#039;s surface, so I have written a function in the calculator\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it&#039;s surface, so I have written a function in the calculator\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2024-12-04T16:15:39+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2024-12-04T16:17:24+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it&#039;s surface, so I have written a function in the calculator\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/boundary-conditions\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"boundary-conditions\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/boundary-conditions\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"boundary-conditions\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/boundary-conditions\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/boundary-conditions\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"boundary-conditions\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\\\/\",\"name\":\"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it's surface, so I have written a function in the calculator\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2024-12-04T16:15:39+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2024-12-04T16:17:24+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it's surface, so I have written a function in the calculator","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/boundary-conditions\/#listItem","name":"boundary-conditions"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/boundary-conditions\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"boundary-conditions","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/boundary-conditions\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/#listItem","name":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/boundary-conditions\/#listItem","name":"boundary-conditions"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/","name":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it's surface, so I have written a function in the calculator","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2024-12-04T16:15:39+00:00","dateModified":"2024-12-04T16:17:24+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it's surface, so I have written a function in the calculator","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/","article:published_time":"2024-12-04T16:15:39+00:00","article:modified_time":"2024-12-04T16:17:24+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"I have created a sheet acting as a LC resonator with an impedance boundary. I have the resonant structure on top of a sapphire chip that is in vacuum. I want to determine the magnitude of E-field tangential to the the LC resonator on it's surface, so I have written a function in the calculator"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"396289","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"default","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":false,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2025-10-19 09:55:01","updated":"2026-09-17 12:53:02","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/boundary-conditions\/\" title=\"boundary-conditions\">boundary-conditions<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tCalculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"boundary-conditions","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/boundary-conditions\/"},{"label":"Calculating E-field tangential to a 2D resonant structure on a sapphire chip","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/calculating-e-field-tangential-to-a-2d-resonant-structure-on-a-sapphire-chip\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_forum_id":["27793"],"_bbp_topic_id":["396289"],"_bbp_subscription":["489263","82626","469978"],"_bbp_author_ip":["130.126.255.216"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["405019"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["405019"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2025-01-15 06:06:44"],"_bbp_reply_count":["3"],"_bbp_reply_count_hidden":["0"],"_bbp_voice_count":["3"],"_bbp_engagement":["489263","82626","469978"],"_btv_view_count":["673"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_edit_last":["489263"],"_bbp_revision_log":["a:1:{i:396290;a:2:{s:6:\"author\";i:489263;s:6:\"reason\";s:0:\"\";}}"],"_edit_lock":["1733329068:489263"],"_bbp_likes_count":["1"]},"test":"jscross3illinois-edu"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/396289","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/396289\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":396290,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/396289\/revisions\/396290"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=396289"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}