


{"id":395796,"date":"2024-11-29T16:00:14","date_gmt":"2024-11-29T16:00:14","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/"},"modified":"2024-11-29T16:00:14","modified_gmt":"2024-11-29T16:00:14","slug":"aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/","title":{"rendered":"AQWA &#8211; Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>&lt;p&gt;Hello,&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA&#8230;&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I&#8217;m wrong).&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model, I could not find specific information on which point is used as reference.&nbsp;&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The Hydrostatic summary reports information on the position of the &#8220;Structure Center of Gravty (CoG)&#8221; (only solid masses) and of the &#8220;Combined Center of Gravty (CoG)&#8221; (fluids + solid masses).&nbsp;&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Which one, if any, of the two is used as reference? The &#8220;Combined&#8221; one?&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If none of the two is used, then which point is used?&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks,&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Gabriele&lt;\/p&gt;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-395796","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry","topic-tag-aqwa","topic-tag-hydrodynamic","topic-tag-reference-frame"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I&#039;m wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"AQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I&#039;m wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"AQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I&#039;m wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/aqwa\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"aqwa\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/aqwa\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"aqwa\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/aqwa\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"AQWA &#8211; Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"AQWA &#8211; Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/aqwa\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"aqwa\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\\\/\",\"name\":\"AQWA \\u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"AQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/aqwa\/#listItem","name":"aqwa"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/aqwa\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"aqwa","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/aqwa\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/#listItem","name":"AQWA &#8211; Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"AQWA &#8211; Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/aqwa\/#listItem","name":"aqwa"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/","name":"AQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00","dateModified":"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"AQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/","article:published_time":"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00","article:modified_time":"2024-11-29T16:00:14+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"AQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"Hello,I have a question regarding the modelling in presence of internal fluid tanks in AQWA...When there are only solid masses, my understanding is that the reference point for hydrodynamics (addedd masses, damping, generalized forces) is the global centre of gravity (please correct me if I'm wrong).However, in case there are fluid tanks in the model,"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"395796","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"default","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":false,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2025-10-19 09:45:17","updated":"2026-09-17 12:32:14","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/aqwa\/\" title=\"aqwa\">aqwa<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tAQWA \u2013 Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"aqwa","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/aqwa\/"},{"label":"AQWA &#8211; Reference point for hydrodynamics in presence of fluid tanks","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/aqwa-reference-point-for-hydrodynamics-in-presence-of-fluid-tanks\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_forum_id":["27792"],"_bbp_topic_id":["395796"],"_bbp_subscription":["475604","180344"],"_bbp_author_ip":["140.105.135.106"],"_bbp_reply_count":["3"],"_bbp_reply_count_hidden":["0"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_engagement":["475604","180344"],"_btv_view_count":["374"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["395981"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["395981"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2024-12-02 15:35:05"]},"test":"c89a095867bc5ebc0dafec7886d9c2926dd5928c"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/395796","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/395796\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=395796"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}