


{"id":379859,"date":"2024-08-22T16:24:44","date_gmt":"2024-08-22T16:24:44","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/?post_type=topic&#038;p=379859"},"modified":"2024-08-22T16:24:44","modified_gmt":"2024-08-22T16:24:44","slug":"total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/","title":{"rendered":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Hi all!<br \/>I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.<\/p>\n<p>But when I&#8217;ll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of information, on the other hand my hard input data might be just static temperature and mass flow rate; inferring what the stagnation temperature (hence velocity, hence density) might be is not trivial.<br \/>So, my question here is not really about CFD, more like plain fluid dynamics: how would you suggest to proceed?<br \/>Would you typically do some test runs to figure out the ballpark of the stagnation temperature contribution, or would you do some pen-and-paper estimation?<br \/>Or again, do you ever happen to have total temperature as actual hard design input data?<\/p>\n<p>I want to stress again that this might not really be a question about Fluent per se, as much as about your experience as engineers plugging in boundary conditions.<br \/>Of course I&#8217;d be better off just using the static temperature, but I can very much guess that the solution needs the broader instruction brought by the total one.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-379859","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I&#039;ll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I&#039;ll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I&#039;ll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\\\/\",\"name\":\"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I'll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I'll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/#listItem","name":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/","name":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I'll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00","dateModified":"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I'll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/","article:published_time":"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00","article:modified_time":"2024-08-22T16:24:44+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"Hi all!I just realized that the thermal boundary condition for mass flow inlets requires total temperature. I usually just typed in the design static temperature, and it would not change a whole lot having studied slow gaseous flows.But when I'll be studying faster, compressible flows, one hand I have Fluent asking me this piece of"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"379859","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 16:31:58","updated":"2026-09-16 21:43:02","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tTotal VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"Total VS Static Temperature for thermal BC of mass flow inlets","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/total-vs-static-temperature-for-thermal-bc-of-mass-flow-inlets\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_author_ip":["131.175.66.129"],"_bbp_subscription":["60427","199"],"_btv_view_count":["249"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_topic_id":["379859"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27792"],"_bbp_engagement":["199","60427"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_reply_count":["3"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["379983"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["379983"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2024-08-23 10:12:11"]},"test":"alex-chiellamail-polimi-it"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/379859","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/379859\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":379862,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/379859\/revisions\/379862"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=379859"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}