


{"id":368801,"date":"2024-05-27T23:33:18","date_gmt":"2024-05-27T23:33:18","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/"},"modified":"2024-05-27T23:33:18","modified_gmt":"2024-05-27T23:33:18","slug":"reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/","title":{"rendered":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Hi all,<\/p>\n<p>I&#8217;m trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young&#8217;s modulus to 180 gpa). But also my displacement magnitude is like two times smaller than the experimental result. I need to reduce natural frequency &#8211; one way is to reduce stiffness but I don&#8217;t know that I can realistically have a young&#8217;s modulus lower than 180 gpa for steel. The other way will be to add mass but I think doing this will reduce the displacement magnitude. Also for some reason damping lower than 7% gives an error. But from their experimental result the damping seems high anyway.&nbsp;<\/p>\n<p>My question is how can I reduce the natural frequency and increase displacement at the same time (or how can I reduce stiffness knowing I can&#8217;t probably reduce the young&#8217;s modulus further).<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-368801","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"Hi all,I&#039;m trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young&#039;s modulus to 180 gpa). But\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"Hi all,I&#039;m trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young&#039;s modulus to 180 gpa). But\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"Hi all,I&#039;m trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young&#039;s modulus to 180 gpa). But\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\\\/\",\"name\":\"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Hi all,I'm trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young's modulus to 180 gpa). But\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hi all,I'm trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young's modulus to 180 gpa). But","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/#listItem","name":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/","name":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hi all,I'm trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young's modulus to 180 gpa). But","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00","dateModified":"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"Hi all,I'm trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young's modulus to 180 gpa). But","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/","article:published_time":"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00","article:modified_time":"2024-05-27T23:33:18+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"Hi all,I'm trying to match results from impacts on an experimental railroad bridge model. Currently the natural frequency of my ansys model (after replicating the dimensional properties of the bridge) is around 12 hz while the experimental model is 9 hz. I currently reduced the stiffness (through changing the young's modulus to 180 gpa). But"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"368801","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 16:40:25","updated":"2024-10-28 16:40:25","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tReducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"Reducing stiffness and increasing displacement transient structural","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/reducing-stiffness-and-increasing-displacement-transient-structural\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_subscription":["78929","79"],"_bbp_author_ip":["184.24.96.207"]," _bbp_last_reply_id":["0"]," _bbp_likes_count":["0"],"_btv_view_count":["157"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_topic_id":["368801"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27791"],"_bbp_engagement":["79","78929"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_reply_count":["1"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["368971"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["368971"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2024-05-28 14:27:44"]},"test":"oglawal2illinois-edu"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/368801","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/368801\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=368801"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}