


{"id":361113,"date":"2024-04-08T13:22:49","date_gmt":"2024-04-08T13:22:49","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/"},"modified":"2024-04-08T13:25:57","modified_gmt":"2024-04-08T13:25:57","slug":"contact-thermal-behavior","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/","title":{"rendered":"Contact thermal behavior"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are being treated as adiabatic. However, since I am working on steel, the heat transfer through contacts is definitely significant. I only found this&nbsp;<a href=\"\/courses\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/2\/2020\/03\/Lesson-3-Thermal-contact.pdf\">PowerPoint Presentation (ansys.com)<\/a> on the topic, not really any guide on how to control the heat transfer properties in contacts. Is there a simple way to tell ansys how to treat the contacts during a thermal transient?<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-361113","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry","topic-tag-ansyscontact-1","topic-tag-ansys-transient-thermal-2","topic-tag-heat-transfer","topic-tag-warnings"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2024-04-08T13:22:49+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2024-04-08T13:25:57+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/contact-thermal-behavior\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/heat-transfer\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"heat-transfer\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/heat-transfer\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"heat-transfer\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/heat-transfer\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/contact-thermal-behavior\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Contact thermal behavior\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/contact-thermal-behavior\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"Contact thermal behavior\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/heat-transfer\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"heat-transfer\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/contact-thermal-behavior\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/contact-thermal-behavior\\\/\",\"name\":\"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/contact-thermal-behavior\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2024-04-08T13:22:49+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2024-04-08T13:25:57+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/heat-transfer\/#listItem","name":"heat-transfer"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/heat-transfer\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"heat-transfer","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/heat-transfer\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/#listItem","name":"Contact thermal behavior"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"Contact thermal behavior","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/heat-transfer\/#listItem","name":"heat-transfer"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/","name":"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2024-04-08T13:22:49+00:00","dateModified":"2024-04-08T13:25:57+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/","article:published_time":"2024-04-08T13:22:49+00:00","article:modified_time":"2024-04-08T13:25:57+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Contact thermal behavior | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"I am performing a transient thermal analysis on a mechanical model that has a lot of contacts. When converting it to a thermal model using the command, I get a number of warnings regarding my contact (and target) elements, saying they are not being converted to anything. I assume this means the contact surfaces are"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"361113","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 16:49:54","updated":"2024-10-28 16:49:54","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/heat-transfer\/\" title=\"heat-transfer\">heat-transfer<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tContact thermal behavior\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"heat-transfer","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/heat-transfer\/"},{"label":"Contact thermal behavior","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/contact-thermal-behavior\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_subscription":["340256","49095"],"_bbp_author_ip":["23.206.193.41"]," _bbp_last_reply_id":["0"]," _bbp_likes_count":["0"],"_btv_view_count":["2265"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_edit_lock":["1712582707:233281"],"_bbp_topic_id":["361113"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27791"],"_bbp_engagement":["49095","340256"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_reply_count":["1"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["361469"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["361469"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2024-04-10 09:15:06"]},"test":"diego-sanchezwestinghouse-com"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/361113","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/361113\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":361114,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/361113\/revisions\/361114"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=361113"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}