


{"id":360610,"date":"2024-04-05T08:12:27","date_gmt":"2024-04-05T08:12:27","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/"},"modified":"2024-04-05T08:12:27","modified_gmt":"2024-04-05T08:12:27","slug":"coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/","title":{"rendered":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid outlet temperature to a maximum value.<\/p>\n<p>The possible ways I thought this could set up this problem using system coupling are:<\/p>\n<ol>\n<li>Coupled filed static problem to simulate (solid heat transfer and structural deformation) + Fluent to simulate flow<\/li>\n<li>CHT in Fluent + Structural<\/li>\n<li>Steady state thermal + structural + fluent<\/li>\n<\/ol>\n<p>But I have problems with the first two options<\/p>\n<p>In the first option: Ansys does not allow me to import external heat generation data (spatially varying) as thermal load to the coupled field static problem. The same data was imported without any problems in a regular steady state thermal. Any idea why this restriction?<\/p>\n<p>In the second option: Fluent needs to pass the temperature on the entire solid body to the structural solver, not just at the boundaries. The structural solver just needs to pass the deformation at the solid boundaries back to Fluent. I think this is impossible with the current setup. Am I right?<\/p>\n<p>I have yet to try the third option. But I do not know if it is easy to do (coupling three systems &amp; further running design exploration etc.,) or if there is a simple way?<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-360610","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry","topic-tag-2-way-coupled-fsi","topic-tag-ansys-fluent","topic-tag-coupled-field-1","topic-tag-mechanical"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/mechanical\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"mechanical\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/mechanical\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"mechanical\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/mechanical\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/mechanical\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"mechanical\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\\\/\",\"name\":\"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/mechanical\/#listItem","name":"mechanical"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/mechanical\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"mechanical","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/mechanical\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/#listItem","name":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/mechanical\/#listItem","name":"mechanical"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/","name":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00","dateModified":"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/","article:published_time":"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00","article:modified_time":"2024-04-05T08:12:27+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"I am trying to solve an optimization problem involving a coolant fluid flowing over a channel. The solid bodies involved experience body heat generation, and the resulting thermal expansion disrupts the flow. Some geometric dimensions and the mass flow rate need to be optimized to keep the structure temperature within limits, while targeting the fluid"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"360610","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 16:50:25","updated":"2024-10-28 16:50:25","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/mechanical\/\" title=\"mechanical\">mechanical<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tCoupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"mechanical","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/mechanical\/"},{"label":"Coupling Thermal Expansion to the Heat Transfer Solution","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/coupling-thermal-expansion-to-the-heat-transfer-solution\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_subscription":["11173","805"],"_bbp_author_ip":["96.7.218.223"]," _bbp_last_reply_id":["0"]," _bbp_likes_count":["0"],"_btv_view_count":["529"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_topic_id":["360610"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27791"],"_bbp_engagement":["805","11173"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_reply_count":["1"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["361553"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["361553"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2024-04-10 14:44:22"]},"test":"anoop-retheeshkit-edu"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/360610","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/360610\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=360610"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}