


{"id":293596,"date":"2023-07-18T09:58:36","date_gmt":"2023-07-18T09:58:36","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/"},"modified":"2023-07-19T12:56:07","modified_gmt":"2023-07-19T12:56:07","slug":"problem-with-high-penetration","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/","title":{"rendered":"Problem with high penetration"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Hello,<br \/>I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem.&nbsp;<\/p>\n<p>I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size by using penetration and interference modelling to find out contact pressures. When i try to use the same setup for the scaled up version, i notice high element distortion, which only seems to be resolved by reducing the mesh density. This solution, however, is not satisfactory, as there are fewer nodes to detect contact and my model still has penetration.&nbsp;<\/p>\n<p>How should i go about resolving such high amounts of penetration?<\/p>\n<p>Your help is much appreciated \ud83d\ude42<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-293596","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2023-07-18T09:58:36+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2023-07-19T12:56:07+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/problem-with-high-penetration\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/problem-with-high-penetration\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Problem with high penetration\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/problem-with-high-penetration\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"Problem with high penetration\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/problem-with-high-penetration\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/problem-with-high-penetration\\\/\",\"name\":\"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/problem-with-high-penetration\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2023-07-18T09:58:36+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2023-07-19T12:56:07+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/#listItem","name":"Problem with high penetration"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"Problem with high penetration","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/","name":"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2023-07-18T09:58:36+00:00","dateModified":"2023-07-19T12:56:07+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/","article:published_time":"2023-07-18T09:58:36+00:00","article:modified_time":"2023-07-19T12:56:07+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Problem with high penetration | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"Hello,I am trying to model a seal with penetration with Ansys Mechanical. I have extensive CFD knowledge, but am somewhat struggling with this FEM problem. I wanted to simulate the seal with small changes in its size by scaling plus minus 10% to check the effects of tolerances. I am able to solve the original size"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"293596","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 17:58:41","updated":"2024-10-28 17:58:41","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tProblem with high penetration\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"Problem with high penetration","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/problem-with-high-penetration\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_subscription":["4272","13640","13386"],"_bbp_author_ip":["23.44.170.61"]," _bbp_last_reply_id":["0"]," _bbp_likes_count":["0"],"_btv_view_count":["1242"],"_bbp_status":["publish"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_topic_id":["293596"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27791"],"_bbp_engagement":["4272","13386","13640"],"_bbp_voice_count":["3"],"_bbp_reply_count":["5"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["293857"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["293857"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2023-07-19 12:53:13"],"_edit_lock":["1735903184:4272"]},"test":"sujeeshenmodes-de"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/293596","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/293596\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=293596"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}