


{"id":161523,"date":"2021-08-23T08:55:06","date_gmt":"2021-08-23T08:55:06","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/"},"modified":"2021-08-24T03:42:45","modified_gmt":"2021-08-24T03:42:45","slug":"difference-between-beam188-and-beam189","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/","title":{"rendered":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189"},"content":{"rendered":"<div class=\"Item-Body\">\n<div class=\"Message userContent\">\n<p>Hello Everyone,<\/p>\n<p>For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.<\/p>\n<p>When I keep element order to &ldquo;Program controlled&rdquo;, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However, when I apply BEAM188 elements with APDL commands under geometry (et,matid,beam188), the deflection values deviate by about 15%.. I was wondering what is the difference between BEAM188 elements applied with APDL commands and BEAM188 (same elements type) that Ansys applies automatically?<\/p>\n<p>Applying BEAM189 either by APDL or by changing element order to quadratic is also fine and delivered matching results. Increasing elements count also removes the deviation, but we want to employ the single element practice.<\/p>\n<p>I am using Workbench 18.1. Thank you<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-161523","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry","topic-tag-ansys-mechanical-apdl","topic-tag-beam","topic-tag-beam188","topic-tag-element-type","topic-tag-workbench"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2021-08-23T08:55:06+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2021-08-24T03:42:45+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Topics\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/workbench\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"workbench\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/workbench\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":3,\"name\":\"workbench\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/workbench\\\/\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189\"},\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/topics\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Topics\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":4,\"name\":\"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic-tag\\\/workbench\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"workbench\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\\\/\",\"name\":\"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \\u201cProgram controlled\\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/topic\\\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2021-08-23T08:55:06+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2021-08-24T03:42:45+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Topics","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/workbench\/#listItem","name":"workbench"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/workbench\/#listItem","position":3,"name":"workbench","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/workbench\/","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/#listItem","name":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189"},"previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/#listItem","name":"Topics"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/#listItem","position":4,"name":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/workbench\/#listItem","name":"workbench"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/","name":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2021-08-23T08:55:06+00:00","dateModified":"2021-08-24T03:42:45+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/","article:published_time":"2021-08-23T08:55:06+00:00","article:modified_time":"2021-08-24T03:42:45+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189 | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"Hello Everyone,For a simple cantilevered I-section beam with transverse force at its end, there were some differences identified between BEAM188 and BEAM189 elements when meshing with a single element for each beam.When I keep element order to \u201cProgram controlled\u201d, BEAM188 elements are applied automatically, and deflection result matches analytical calculations and everything is fine. However,"},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"161523","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 20:27:37","updated":"2024-10-28 20:27:37","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/\" title=\"Topics\">Topics<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/workbench\/\" title=\"workbench\">workbench<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tDifference between BEAM188 and BEAM189\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Topics","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/topics\/"},{"label":"workbench","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic-tag\/workbench\/"},{"label":"Difference between BEAM188 and BEAM189","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/topic\/difference-between-beam188-and-beam189\/"}],"acf":[],"custom_fields":[{"0":{"_bbp_author_ip":[""],"_bbp_old_reply_author_name_id":["Anonymous"],"_bbp_old_is_reply_anonymous_id":["false"],"_btv_view_count":["12672"],"_bbp_likes_count":["0"],"_bbp_subscription":["239331"],"_bbp_topic_status":["unanswered"],"_bbp_status":["publish"],"_bbp_topic_id":["161523"],"_bbp_forum_id":["27791"],"_bbp_engagement":["240","221219"],"_bbp_voice_count":["2"],"_bbp_reply_count":["4"],"_bbp_last_reply_id":["189717"],"_bbp_last_active_id":["189717"],"_bbp_last_active_time":["2021-08-24 03:42:45"]},"test":"bassem-aagmail-com"}],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/161523","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topics\/161523\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=161523"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}