


{"id":318248,"date":"2023-11-17T17:25:45","date_gmt":"2023-11-17T17:25:45","guid":{"rendered":"\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/"},"modified":"2023-11-17T17:25:45","modified_gmt":"2023-11-17T17:25:45","slug":"318248","status":"publish","type":"reply","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/","title":{"rendered":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>&lt;p class=&#8221;MsoNormal&#8221;&gt;If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I &lt;u&gt;strongly &lt;\/u&gt;recommend using it.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;It is the simplest and most correct method.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;Note:&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;You can also include additional loadings if appropriate.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;DesignLife will internally determine the mean and alternating stresses from all selected result sets.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;You can then specify any applicable mean stress correction method (Goodman, Gerber, Interpolate, etc.) and DesignLife will apply it.&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p class=&#8221;MsoNormal&#8221;&gt;For the 2&lt;sup&gt;nd&lt;\/sup&gt; option, yes you need to manually create new S-N curves that include the effect of mean stress.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;I am not recommending this method, but it is theoretically doable.&lt;\/p&gt;&lt;p class=&#8221;MsoNormal&#8221;&gt;For the 3&lt;sup&gt;rd&lt;\/sup&gt; option, you need to apply whatever combination of two loadings that produce the desired Salt and Smean using the FT equations.&lt;span style=&#8221;mso-spacerun: yes;&#8221;&gt;&nbsp; &lt;\/span&gt;I suspect that is +\/- &frac12; the applied load, but I did not thoroughly check the math.&lt;\/p&gt;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-318248","reply","type-reply","status-publish","hentry"],"aioseo_notices":[],"aioseo_head":"\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO 4.9.10 - aioseo.com -->\n\t<meta name=\"description\" content=\"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"robots\" content=\"max-image-preview:large\" \/>\n\t<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/\" \/>\n\t<meta name=\"generator\" content=\"All in One SEO (AIOSEO) 4.9.10\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:locale\" content=\"en_US\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:site_name\" content=\"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:type\" content=\"article\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:title\" content=\"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:description\" content=\"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"og:url\" content=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:published_time\" content=\"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta property=\"article:modified_time\" content=\"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:card\" content=\"summary_large_image\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:title\" content=\"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum\" \/>\n\t\t<meta name=\"twitter:description\" content=\"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.\" \/>\n\t\t<script type=\"application\/ld+json\" class=\"aioseo-schema\">\n\t\t\t{\"@context\":\"https:\\\/\\\/schema.org\",\"@graph\":[{\"@type\":\"BreadcrumbList\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/reply\\\/318248\\\/#breadcrumblist\",\"itemListElement\":[{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"position\":1,\"name\":\"Home\",\"item\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\",\"nextItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/reply\\\/318248\\\/#listItem\",\"name\":\"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts\"}},{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/reply\\\/318248\\\/#listItem\",\"position\":2,\"name\":\"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts\",\"previousItem\":{\"@type\":\"ListItem\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum#listItem\",\"name\":\"Home\"}}]},{\"@type\":\"Organization\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\"},{\"@type\":\"WebPage\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/reply\\\/318248\\\/#webpage\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/reply\\\/318248\\\/\",\"name\":\"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"isPartOf\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\"},\"breadcrumb\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/forums\\\/reply\\\/318248\\\/#breadcrumblist\"},\"datePublished\":\"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00\",\"dateModified\":\"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00\"},{\"@type\":\"WebSite\",\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#website\",\"url\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/\",\"name\":\"Ansys Learning Forum\",\"description\":\"Ansys Innovation Space\",\"inLanguage\":\"en-US\",\"publisher\":{\"@id\":\"https:\\\/\\\/innovationspace.ansys.com\\\/forum\\\/#organization\"}}]}\n\t\t<\/script>\n\t\t<!-- All in One SEO -->\n\n","aioseo_head_json":{"title":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.","canonical_url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/","robots":"max-image-preview:large","keywords":"","webmasterTools":{"miscellaneous":""},"schema":{"@context":"https:\/\/schema.org","@graph":[{"@type":"BreadcrumbList","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/#breadcrumblist","itemListElement":[{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","position":1,"name":"Home","item":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum","nextItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/#listItem","name":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts"}},{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/#listItem","position":2,"name":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts","previousItem":{"@type":"ListItem","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum#listItem","name":"Home"}}]},{"@type":"Organization","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/"},{"@type":"WebPage","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/#webpage","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/","name":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum","description":"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.","inLanguage":"en-US","isPartOf":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website"},"breadcrumb":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/#breadcrumblist"},"datePublished":"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00","dateModified":"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00"},{"@type":"WebSite","@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#website","url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/","name":"Ansys Learning Forum","description":"Ansys Innovation Space","inLanguage":"en-US","publisher":{"@id":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/#organization"}}]},"og:locale":"en_US","og:site_name":"Ansys Learning Forum | Ansys Innovation Space","og:type":"article","og:title":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum","og:description":"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected.","og:url":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/","article:published_time":"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00","article:modified_time":"2023-11-17T17:25:45+00:00","twitter:card":"summary_large_image","twitter:title":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts | Ansys Learning Forum","twitter:description":"If you have access to the Ansys nCode DesignLife embedded Add-On, I strongly recommend using it. It is the simplest and most correct method. You just need to run the preload and preload+external load cases in Mechanical and specify Time Step loading in DesignLife with both result sets selected."},"aioseo_meta_data":{"post_id":"318248","title":null,"description":null,"keywords":null,"keyphrases":null,"primary_term":null,"canonical_url":null,"og_title":null,"og_description":null,"og_object_type":"default","og_image_type":"content","og_image_url":null,"og_image_width":null,"og_image_height":null,"og_image_custom_url":null,"og_image_custom_fields":null,"og_video":null,"og_custom_url":null,"og_article_section":null,"og_article_tags":null,"twitter_use_og":true,"twitter_card":"default","twitter_image_type":"default","twitter_image_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_url":null,"twitter_image_custom_fields":null,"twitter_title":null,"twitter_description":null,"schema":{"blockGraphs":[],"customGraphs":[],"default":{"data":{"Article":[],"Course":[],"Dataset":[],"FAQPage":[],"Movie":[],"Person":[],"Product":[],"ProductReview":[],"Car":[],"Recipe":[],"Service":[],"SoftwareApplication":[],"WebPage":[]},"graphName":"","isEnabled":true},"graphs":[]},"schema_type":"default","schema_type_options":null,"pillar_content":false,"robots_default":true,"robots_noindex":false,"robots_noarchive":false,"robots_nosnippet":false,"robots_nofollow":false,"robots_noimageindex":false,"robots_noodp":false,"robots_notranslate":false,"robots_max_snippet":null,"robots_max_videopreview":null,"robots_max_imagepreview":"large","priority":null,"frequency":null,"local_seo":null,"limit_modified_date":false,"created":"2024-10-28 17:33:07","updated":"2026-08-10 12:47:24","ai":null,"breadcrumb_settings":null,"seo_analyzer_scan_date":null},"aioseo_breadcrumb":"<div class=\"aioseo-breadcrumbs\"><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\" title=\"Home\">Home<\/a>\n\t\t<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb-separator\">&raquo;<\/span><span class=\"aioseo-breadcrumb\">\n\t\t\tReply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts\n\t\t<\/span><\/div>","aioseo_breadcrumb_json":[{"label":"Home","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum"},{"label":"Reply To: Fatigue Analysis of bolts","link":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/forums\/reply\/318248\/"}],"acf":[],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/replies\/318248","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/replies"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/reply"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/replies\/318248\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/innovationspace.ansys.com\/forum\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=318248"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}